New Tech Horizon: Western Digital Warranty Status - New Tech Horizon

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Western Digital Warranty Status Does WD actually back up thier warranties?

#1 User is offline   kzaske 

• Veteran Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Benefactor

Posted 27 October 2010 - 05:16 PM

Many of you know about the recent failure of one of my Western Digital hard drives. I promised to let 51 know how things turned out so lets start with some background info.
Several months ago (17 June to be precise), in spite of previous experience, I purchased two 500GB WB Black (Link; http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822136320) hard drives from Newegg to act as boot drives on my wife’s and I’s computers. At first both drives functioned perfectly, but as the weeks passed the drive in my computer started making pinging sounds every time I restarted the computer. The pinging got louder, finally on 28 September the plastic locking pin came off the drive while I was replacing the power supply, no the power connector lock did not break. I arranged an advance replacement RMA because of the head noise (pinging). The drive I received was an enterprise class 1TB (model number: WD5001AALS-00L3B2). I checked the specs because this was not the model I was going to be sending in and I did not want to accept a downgrade. While checking the new drives specifications I discovered that the new drive only had 113 days of warranty left! The drive I was sending in had 1742 days of warranty left. So I sent the following e-mail on 8 October;

“I received and registered the replacement product. I am sure to enjoy the extra 500GB in capacity of the replacement product however the warranty on the original product still has 1742 days left while the replacement shows a remaining warranty of 113 days! I would like to have the warranty of the drive I purchased recognized and remind you I had no choice in the selection of a replacement drive. The 5 year warranty was a huge factor in my purchasing that drive to have that replaced with a 6 month warranty is just not fair or acceptable.”

Below is the reply from Western Digital tech support later that same day.

Dear Ken,
Thank you for your email. If you are inquiring about the status of your RMA, you can check it online from the link below.
RMA Status: http://websupport.wd...gin.asp?lang=en
Current turnaround is 5 to 7 business days for a Standard RMA and 3 to 5 business days for an Advance RMA.
If you have been tracking your shipment and your shipping courier shows that the drive has been received by Western Digital and RMA status shows that the drive has not been received, it means that we have received the drive in our warehouse, but we have not entered it into our system. As soon as the drive is entered into our system, RMA status will be updated and show that the drive has been received. In addition, we will send you an email notification when your drive has been received into our system and when the replacement has been shipped. We apologize for this inconvenience.
If you are concerned about data on you defective drive, please see the link below.
Title: What happens to the data on the drive I sent in for an RMA and how can I retrieve it?
URL: http://wdc.custhelp....ated=1053637589

As you can expect, this reply really threw me. I spent several days crawling the web looking for more information about how WD handles this situation and found nothing. Rather than let them charge my account for the new drive, I chose to go ahead and send them back the nearly useless hard drive. Once I had a tracking number from UPS I send the following e-mail on 21 October (it was about 0015Hrs when I sent it). I was now sure that my warranty would be gone with the wind and any hope of getting the warranty transferred could pose as a mob in WoW or any other MMO.

The broken drive is being shipped back via UPS, tracking number is: 1Z0AW2030332725905, it is scheduled for delivery on 22 October.
You have not yet addressed my concerns about the warranty of the new drive, which is now about 100 days. Why am I losing more than 1600 days of warranty? As stated before, the primary reason for purchasing the drive I purchased was the warranty period. Rest assured if you do not resolve this issue I will go to corporate about it.

Six hours later (0625Hrs) a support technician named Hector A replied with the information I had requested in both e-mails. See the quote below:

Response (Hector A)
Dear Ken,

Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support. My name is Hector A.

The warranty in your replacement drive will be updated after your defective drive is received back. After your drive is received it may take up to three business days before is entered in the system and the warranty is updated.

If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further.

Sincerely,
Hector A
Western Digital Service and Support
http://support.wdc.com

I waited until last night to check the warranty status on the new drive, 1723 days of warranty left. They had transferred the remaining warranty from my old hard drive (with it’s 5 year warranty) to the new drive (over-riding it three year original warranty).

In summary, I made out like a banshee and Western Digital now has a customer that will not think twice about purchassing more of thier products.

This is the kind of service that Maxtor had always provided me and one of the reasons why I always purchassed them for my computers.

Ken /|\
:foldon:

Page 1 of 1

Other Replies To This Topic

#2 User is offline   Prandr 

• Valued Poster
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 October 2010 - 05:55 PM

Thanks Ken
I am glad I can rely on WD warranty, as it they are my choice for the future system.

BTW the 6 month left warranty, probably tells that you got a previously RMAed and repaired unit.

#3 User is offline   Zaevin 

• Excellent Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationBoise Idaho, USA

Posted 27 October 2010 - 07:54 PM

Glad to hear that it all got resolved for you kzaske :)

I will only be purchasing Western Digital HDDs from here on out. I have a WD Black as my main HDD. Although I have several Seagate HDDs and one of them is making noise... hmm.

-Z

#4 User is offline   Zaevin 

• Excellent Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationBoise Idaho, USA

Posted 27 October 2010 - 07:56 PM

View PostPrandr, on 27 October 2010 - 05:55 PM, said:

Thanks Ken
I am glad I can rely on WD warranty, as it they are my choice for the future system.

BTW the 6 month left warranty, probably tells that you got a previously RMAed and repaired unit.

True, but common in the tech-industry. All other manufacturers do the same (last I checked).

-Z

#5 User is offline   kzaske 

• Veteran Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:52 PM

All in all, the outcome was much better than I expected. Buying WD drives is something I have avoided since 1989 when I lost well over a thousand dollars in a warranty mix up. This is the first time I had bought anything from them since.

Ken /|\
:foldon:

#6 User is offline   Tweak 

• Maximum Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:12 PM

That's great bud! I prefer WD and with exception to my SSD all my internal and externals are WD drives, I guess I liked them because I have owned 12 Raptors (2 of the VRaps) and not a one has ever failed on me, they are easy to RMA if needed, and they have a good price. 

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users