• You cannot reply to this topic

Help me plan my next build!

#1 User is offline   Kelemvor 

• I'm a mog: half man, half dog. I'm my own best friend
  • Group: Admin/Benefactor
  • LocationLargo, FL

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:40 AM

Greetings,

I've been running my current system for 4 or so years now. It's time for an upgrade. I'm currently running a dual xeon 5520 system with 48GB ECC DDR3 RAM, four 1.5TB Spinning disks in Raid00, EVGA SR-2 Motherboard, EVGA GTX 480 HC video card. All water cooled. It's in a Mountain Mods Extended ascension case. For monitors I've got an LG 30" 2560x1600 flanked by two 24" viewsonic 1920x1080 monitors. I've also got a geforce 620 card for the third monitor.

I have already ordered:
Two Intel 730 SERIES 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SSDSC2BP480G4R5 in 480GB capacity. They'll be run in Raid0 as my primary drive. The drives should arrive tomorrow night! My current motherboard did not like the last SSD's I ordered (and returned).. hopefully it will deal with the intel drives better.

I may keep the existing spinning disks and move to raid10 for extra space and redundancy, I may replace them. You guys can help me make that decision.

I can't get an accurate bead on the new 5th generation intel chips release date. I'm hoping something will break soon and I'll be able to include them in my next build.
I have no idea what motherboard to get.
I don't think I want to pay the premium for xeon again. Probably one of the unlocked i7 chips.
If I don't get the 5th generation cpu's (which I think use DDR4) then I will want to keep at least some of my 6 8GB ECC DDR3 sticks of memory. I know some boards will run ecc memory in non-ecc mode on an i7 as I gave my old 2GB ECC sticks to a friend and he used them on his system. I can't find any info on which boards will or will not do this.
I'm keeping the case. I'm keeping the water cooling setup. I'll probably have to buy new water blocks.
I've got a Corsair HX1000 power supply that I plan to keep.
I'm keeping my current bd-r drive.. hardly ever use it so I don't feel compelled to replace it.
I plan to get one of the recently announced 28" 4k monitors. Maybe two. There are several brands that announced an MSRP of $800.
I'm completely in the dark on the state of current video cards. I'm going to give serious consideration to AMD cards. My understanding is that no current single card can game reasonably well at 4k. I'm hoping that changes soon. Multi monitor has been a focus for me, so I would like to end up with at least 4 monitor outputs.
I used to be enamored with eVGA but since they nixed their lifetime warranties I don't really care so much now.

so.. mostly I need input on motherboard, video card, and the ram issue. I really hate to buy different DDR3, when I'm sitting on 6 8GB sticks already. If my new board takes ddr4, then I don't mind so much. USB3 and/or high speed CompactFLASH readers are important to me. Video editing with Adobe Premiere is important to me (Adobe CS6). Gaming is important to me. I don't plan to upgrade from adobe cs6 due to the recurring costs.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic

Other Replies To This Topic

#2 User is offline   kzaske 

• Veteran Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Benefactor

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:40 PM

I would advise waiting until this winter. The new lineup of Intel processors, Nvidia/AMD Video cards and a host of other components will be out by then. Buying now is not a good idea for someone that wants to be on the bleeding edge of tech.

#3 User is offline   Kelemvor 

• I'm a mog: half man, half dog. I'm my own best friend
  • Group: Admin/Benefactor
  • LocationLargo, FL

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:51 PM

I'm sure I'll have blown my spring bonus by then! I'm not good at saving money :)

Amazon rescheduled the shipment on those SSD's the day they were supposed to be delivered. I cancelled because they estimated another MONTH! Also, Crucial came out with an M550 that seems to have all around better specs. Bigger, faster, and almost $200 cheaper. I'm going to wait to place another order until I see some head to head comparisons of the two drives. The intel will have to beat crucial by a decent margin to be worth the $200 premium.

Also, as I researched those $800 monitors.. it sounds like they might not be all that great. TN only... shallow color gamut, slow refresh. ugh.

Maybe I'll put the upgrade off another year.. none of my plans seem to be panning out so far.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users