New Tech Horizon: AMD Chip-set/CPU Drivers Borked? - New Tech Horizon

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

AMD Chip-set/CPU Drivers Borked? Are yours?

#1 User is offline   kzaske 

• Veteran Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Benefactor

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:32 AM

As you all know I was having some serious issues with a new Sound Blaster Z. It worked fine for about all of an hour. When it worked it was so far beyond anything that an X-FI could produce it was not even funny. Creative drivers messed up the system so badly that EVERYTHING slowed down. My FPS reduced from an average of 45 to around 5 and no longer used multiple threads. I started trouble-shooting and ended up formatting drive C and reinstalled Windows 7 then I installed all the latest drivers. Nothing changed, everything was slow and the two patches from Microsoft for FX series processors would not install. My favorite game (Guild Wars 2) still played poorly with frame rates as low as 5FPS and was restricted to a single thread. Once again I reinstalled windows, this time I did not let the Sound Blaster Z touch my system. Same thing, Guild Wars 2 played badly and the entire system dragged.
Long story short, I found that the latest chip-set/CPU/GPU drivers from AMD do not install properly. To fix the issue I had to uninstall all AMD drivers then install the oldest chip-set/CPU/GPU drivers I could find. Suddenly I found that I could install the two patches from Microsoft with no problems. I then stair stepped chip-set and CPU drivers up to the current set and then installed the latest GPU drivers. Everything is working fine, my frame rates are back where they belong in Guild Wars 2 and the replacement that Creative game me for the Sound Blaster Z is working fine. Oh, they replaced it with and EOL Sound Blaster X-FI Titanium Fatality Pro (also PCI-E) which is working fine; but still not near as good as the Sound Blaster Z was for that one precious half hour.

If you are not getting the performance from your new FX that you think you should, try what I did. Best of luck everyone.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users