New Tech Horizon: Whats new with you? - New Tech Horizon

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Whats new with you? What is everyone doing?

#1 User is offline   kzaske 

• Veteran Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Benefactor

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:21 PM

It's been so quiet that I had to do something to get the chit chat going again. So what is everyone upto?

For me, I have been playing a lot of Guild Wars 2 and trying to make it to work. I hope everyone is doing well.

Oh, 51. I am my wife now have Riva e-cig kits hoping to quit smoking. So far the transission has not been easy.

Ken /|\
:foldon:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »

Other Replies To This Topic

#2 User is offline   Kelemvor 

• I'm a mog: half man, half dog. I'm my own best friend
  • Group: Admin/Benefactor
  • LocationLargo, FL

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:44 AM

38 this week. I recently stopped playing World of Tanks after getting into it pretty heavily over the winter. I've been focusing a lot of my time and money on scuba diving lately.

As for computer stuff, I'm patiently awaiting the new micron SSD's to become available. If the 480GB is priced close to half that of the 1TB then I'll probably buy two (also maybe a 256 for my laptop). They're supposed to be on shelves this month according to the original press release.

Work got me a macbook pro to play with. Don't like it much.. it's got specs similar to my ThinkPad T420 but it's really heavy... I haven't installed windows on it yet so it's still just a novelty item at the moment.

#3 User is offline   kzaske 

• Veteran Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:41 PM

View PostKelemvor, on 05 March 2013 - 09:44 AM, said:

38 this week. I recently stopped playing World of Tanks after getting into it pretty heavily over the winter. I've been focusing a lot of my time and money on scuba diving lately.

As for computer stuff, I'm patiently awaiting the new micron SSD's to become available. If the 480GB is priced close to half that of the 1TB then I'll probably buy two (also maybe a 256 for my laptop). They're supposed to be on shelves this month according to the original press release.

Work got me a macbook pro to play with. Don't like it much.. it's got specs similar to my ThinkPad T420 but it's really heavy... I haven't installed windows on it yet so it's still just a novelty item at the moment.

Just in case I happen to miss it, Happy birthday! As for World of Tanks, I understand that it is a good game. I am not a tank person so I did not even try it. When I was in the army I learned to avoid tanks and just report thier location so the sky jockies could deal with them. :)

I have been debating getting one of the new AMD 3+ processors to replace my wife's aging 965. Hoping I can do it sometime soon.

Ken /|\

#4 User is offline   Kelemvor 

• LocationLargo, FL

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:00 AM

Thanks! It seems I'm starting to like birthdays less as the years go on :rolleyes:

#5 User is offline   Darkside 

• Jerry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • LocationSacramento California

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:41 PM

I've been working, going to school and tying to finish my BS degree in Electrical Engineering, and raising a family.. Whewww!!! Very Tough..LoL.. I tried coming on here as often as I can, but other than that, we're all doing well.

#6 User is offline   Tweak 

• Maximum Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:22 AM

What's new...enjoying the car thing more than the computer thing and trying not to spend money on either so much! Always had health issues since I knew everyone back from PAMD64 and still dealing with those plus some that have come about last year, otherwise not much to say, added the Samsung SSD awhile back but that's about all with the PC. Hope everyone is well and enjoys the almost spring that is almost here... at nearly 70F here it is getting NICE outside FINALLY!. http://newtechhorizon.com/nthforum/public/style_emoticons/default/36_1_11[1].gif

#7 User is offline   kzaske 

• Veteran Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:19 AM

Lets see... My wife's mouse is jumping around her screen like a mexican jumping bean on a warm day. So I ordered her a new mouse. OK, actually I think I ordered her a new mouse, there was only one left in stock for the last two days so I won't know for sure until it ships. Because of her complaints about the size of her keyboard, I ordered her a larger keyboard. The same one I use, the Microsoft Ergo 4000 wired keyboard. NewEgg had put her keyboard on sale for $31.99, knocking $18.00 off the price.
So between her new mouse and keyboard I spent a little over a hundred dollars. Then while I was browsing NewEgg I found that the sound card I wanted has gone on sale. The SoundBlaster Z went from $119.99 to $99.99 with $20.00 NewEgg saving code. In the long run, I pay $79.99 for the new sound card (if I end up using the $20.00 "card." I am hoping that Guild Wars 2 stops crashing my sound card.

Now how do I justify spending $199.99 for a new processor? That is what an FX 8350 would set me back. Actually I want to get two of them, one for me and one for the wife. So here I am thinking about spending another four hundred dollars for something I don't really need. I know, buy them one at a time, Wife's first.

Ken /|\

Edit: I so fail. I could not resist it... I had to buy a second FX-8350. But my friend that gets my left overs is gonna love getting a 1090T & a Sound Blaster XTrem Gamer X-FI!

#8 User is offline   kzaske 

• Veteran Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:41 AM

Wow, what a busy weekend. I managed to catch a bug which is driving my blood sugars wonky. Now for an update. The Steelseries Guild Wars 2 branded mouse if far better than I expected. Now lets see how long it lasts. Installing the FX-8350 processors went without a hitch, Connie's MS Office 2007 had to be reactivated but that was not a big deal. Both computers are running like champs. I had to uninstall folding because the processors would quickly jump upto 80C or higher. Given what I have read I was not surprised but I had hoped that my Antec 620 closed loop would do better than it did.

The Sound Blaster Z is a whole nother story. I installed it without actually thinking about, I just stuck it into a PCI-E slot and off I went. The sound was nothing short of stunning. Then I launched Guild Wars 2 and started getting lots of static and a slide show for a game. I had installed the Z into a PCI-E slot reserved for video so it interferred with the video card. I moved the card to a blank PCI-E buss (x4). Guild Wars 2 was not playable again, however the sound quality was gone. Since that time I have unintalled and reinstalled several times. I have tried two other PCI-E slots. Once and only once did I manage to get the sound quality back, for about half an hour. Then Guild Wars 2 crashed, and the sound quality was gone again. I think the craash was caused by the Sound Blaster Z's driver. I have opened a support ticket with Creative, so far they have advsed me to install the new driver (which has NEVER installed properly).
Long story short; if you have good speakers and want good sound quality get the Sound Blaster Z. Be very careful which slot you put it into. If the bass redirect does not work the first time, uninstall and reinstall again on the slight chance it might work properly.

No more folding for me :(

#9 User is offline   Darkside 

• Jerry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • LocationSacramento California

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:21 AM

View Postkzaske, on 26 March 2013 - 09:41 AM, said:

Wow, what a busy weekend. I managed to catch a bug which is driving my blood sugars wonky. Now for an update. The Steelseries Guild Wars 2 branded mouse if far better than I expected. Now lets see how long it lasts. Installing the FX-8350 processors went without a hitch, Connie's MS Office 2007 had to be reactivated but that was not a big deal. Both computers are running like champs. I had to uninstall folding because the processors would quickly jump upto 80C or higher. Given what I have read I was not surprised but I had hoped that my Antec 620 closed loop would do better than it did.

The Sound Blaster Z is a whole nother story. I installed it without actually thinking about, I just stuck it into a PCI-E slot and off I went. The sound was nothing short of stunning. Then I launched Guild Wars 2 and started getting lots of static and a slide show for a game. I had installed the Z into a PCI-E slot reserved for video so it interferred with the video card. I moved the card to a blank PCI-E buss (x4). Guild Wars 2 was not playable again, however the sound quality was gone. Since that time I have unintalled and reinstalled several times. I have tried two other PCI-E slots. Once and only once did I manage to get the sound quality back, for about half an hour. Then Guild Wars 2 crashed, and the sound quality was gone again. I think the craash was caused by the Sound Blaster Z's driver. I have opened a support ticket with Creative, so far they have advsed me to install the new driver (which has NEVER installed properly).
Long story short; if you have good speakers and want good sound quality get the Sound Blaster Z. Be very careful which slot you put it into. If the bass redirect does not work the first time, uninstall and reinstall again on the slight chance it might work properly.

No more folding for me :(

Nice SoundBlaster. I had a SoundBlaster xFI Sound card but I uninstall the card because I'm gone all HDMI via my EVGA GTX460SE. Had it hook up to my Sony 3.1 A/V receiver that is hook up directly to my Sony HDTV and it work awesome even the 3D pass-through works and I am happy with it. My Sony A/V receiver have a sound bar that house 3 speakers and a separate Sub which house the main I/O control. I have all my components hook up to it all HDMI (PS3, Xbox, Wii-U, Direct TV). It's not the best out there and can not top BOSE, but it work for what I need.

Say... What kind of Speaker are you using? Logitech Z5500??

#10 User is offline   Kelemvor 

• LocationLargo, FL

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:02 PM

I have an x-fi sitting in a drawer as well. It wouldn't play nice if I had more than one video card in the system even though I'm not SLI. Also lead to performance problems in games and even in windows. Now that I'm not using all the creative labs enhancements, many games sound better. I think it's because the sound from the rear channels is only heard when the developer intends for you to hear it. The enhancements produce rear channel sounds much more often.

#11 User is offline   kzaske 

• Veteran Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:23 PM

@Darkside - I am still using my old Altec Lansing (Model:VS3251) analog speakers. While I would love to get a set of digital logitech speakers I just can't afford them. As for sound quality, the only difference I can hear is that the Logitech speakers reproduce a lot of extra high tones. Intruments that produce high frequence tones are much louder than they should be. When I purchassed my speakers I had the chance to to several different sets of speakers including digital logitech speakers these speakers sounded right. At the time, price was not a concern.
As for going all HDMI, perhaps for sound it works. But for video, HDMI still get's its bandwidth handed to it by DVI-D. My smaller monitor (which is has a response time of less than 2ms) can handle upto 400FPS just fine, way beyound what HDMI can do. I am planning on moving to a set of larger (higher rez) monitors at some point in the future and from my research HDMI will simply not handle the resoulations I am looking at. If you would like, I can hunt up some links for you.

@Kelemvor - There is one "x-fi" that is software emulated. The Xtreme Music is not a real X-FI, it's an Audigy 2 5.1 with a heavy load on the processor that trys to emulate what a real X-FI can do. One of the reasons I have my Xtreme Music sitting in a box on a shelf in the bedroom.

#12 User is offline   francisw19 

• Excellent Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:02 PM

Good day, folks. No much new here, but I'm just dropping in to say "Hi"! :D

#13 User is offline   Tweak 

• Maximum Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:22 PM

I too am just dropping in, been awhile and only recent "new" thing would be the faster internet, 30 down from Charter, we'll see if it stays or if I return to the consistency of Centurylink DSL.

The bursts that sometimes last a little while isn't bad though. :) I hope everyone is doing well!

(I did have some cancer related stuff but at the moment that is going well, I feel good and haven't needed treatments this year as of yet) http://newtechhorizon.com/nthforum/public/style_emoticons/default/dance%201.gif

http://i43.tinypic.com/m7w8qx.jpg

This post has been edited by Tweak: 17 May 2013 - 12:06 AM

#14 User is offline   kzaske 

• Veteran Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:16 PM

@Tweek: Sorry to hear about the Cancer, I hope you beat it.

Ken /|\

#15 User is offline   Tweak 

• Maximum Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:45 PM

View Postkzaske, on 24 May 2013 - 06:16 PM, said:

@Tweek: Sorry to hear about the Cancer, I hope you beat it.

Ken /|\

Thanks, it is what I guess you'd call a lesser or more mild one, not sure how best to label it but it is treatable and was at the end of last year with 8 rounds of a mild form of IV based chemo treatment, potential for a more aggressive type at some point this year but so far the Dr. wishes to hold off, I feel as good as before so it does not seem it is reason to think my expiration date has moved up. http://newtechhorizon.com/nthforum/public/style_emoticons/default/36_1_11[1].gif

Hope all is going well for you Ken!

#16 User is offline   kzaske 

• Veteran Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:40 PM

For me it's just another day fighting this dark cloud hanging ove me (depression) and diabeties... Right now, nothing too serious. Some days it is just too much.

Ken /|\

#17 User is offline   Tweak 

• Maximum Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:44 PM

View Postkzaske, on 28 June 2013 - 09:40 PM, said:

For me it's just another day fighting this dark cloud hanging ove me (depression) and diabeties... Right now, nothing too serious. Some days it is just too much.

Ken /|\

Been there myself over the past twenty years or so...never let myself get that bad though, I've always keep in mind I am at my worst far better off than many, that always kicks me out of being depressed. Diabetes I am fortunate not to yet have to worry about thankfully. Hope all is going well for you and for everyone else, hope the holiday seasons are enjoyable for everyone and 2014 brings you all you deserve.

#18 User is offline   kzaske 

• Veteran Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2014 - 04:52 PM

Sigh... Last Monday I was notified that my position within HP has been terminated. Sucks...

#19 User is offline   kzaske 

• Veteran Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:38 AM

I hope everyone is doing well. I took my severance package and purchased a few upgrades for my wife's and my computers. My wife got a Gigabyte OC GTX760 2GB Windforcevideo card. It has the highest overclock of any GTX 760 currently on the market, even the horde over at HardOCP was impressed with how it preformed. Installation into her computer was a 15 minute breeze. Due to her constant complaints about not being able to see her keyboard while she is gaming, I ordered up an Antec USB powered LEDstrip for her. I installed it under the desk above the keyboard, it is working like a champ and she loves it. To her it is the best thing since Guild Wars 2 launched, she loves it. So how does she feel about the video card that replace her old GTX 460? "Ehhh..." You win some, you lose some. I admit I expected a favorable response to having a video card that is 5 times the performance but some days we just can't seem to win.

On the heals of such a great success, I ordered my self a Gigabyte OC 770 4gb Windforce, things did not go nearly as well. The specifications displayed on Newegg are for rev 1.0, I got a 2.0. The difference is that rev 1 used a 6 pin and an 8 pin power connector and required about 550W PSU. Rev 2 has two 8 pin slots and requires a 650W PSU. What they didn't say was that my card requires 42Amps to boot, my old PSU would only produce 34Amps so I got nothing. I found out how many amps it needed by searching those deep dark places on the web that most of us fear to go. I ended up replacing my PSU with an EVGA SuperNOVA NEX750B which was the best I could find locally, I could afford and would work. What few reviews I could find were nothing short of terrifying, but this one seems to be working fine (yes fingers are crossed). HardOCP had a review of the 1000W version of the SuperNOVA PSU, they noted that the name is correct; it actually caught fine during the testing. I found eight various forum entries where the SuperNOVA PSU actually did live up to its' name and novad but only one real super-nova where it fried everything in the case.

Alas, what should have been an easy hour swap turned into a four hour ordeal of pain and ineffective pain pills. I ended up spending 15-20 minutes working, the 45-90 resting then back to work. All in all it took me six and a half hours to get the job done. In the end, I spent way more money than planned on my computer. Oh, I had a similar problem with having trouble seeing my keyboard, installing an Antec LED light strip under the desk above the keyboard fixed that for me.

On a side note; the new video card can run folding at full tilt and not get warmer than 66C even with the air filters restricting the air flow. Connie's computer never goes above 57C. What a difference location makes, her computer sits down warming her feet mine sits on my desk.

I hope everyone is doing well!
KJZ /|\

#20 User is offline   Kelemvor 

• LocationLargo, FL

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:16 AM

Hey guys, it's been a long time! Glad to hear that you seem to be beating the cancer, Tweak. Sorry to hear about the loss of the HP gig, Kzaske. My employer also made some cuts this year but fortunately I didn't get cut.
I took up scuba diving in the last year or so, and this year I'm taking cave diving classes. Diving has consumed much of my time and money.

Sorry to hear about the depression, Ken. My daughter has been dealing with some severe depression for some time now. Not fun for me, less fun for her. I hope you are getting some kind of treatment, my friend.

I haven't been focusing much on pc stuff since my last dual xeon build that I did right before the demise of planetamd64. That's about to change, I'm going to upgrade everything this quarter. I'll post a new thread asking for some help if you guys have time.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users