• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2003 Acura TL Problems

#1 User is offline   Kelemvor 

• I'm a mog: half man, half dog. I'm my own best friend
  • Group: Admin/Benefactor
  • LocationLargo, FL

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:14 PM

Thought I'd share this since a lot of us on the site seem to have some interest in cars. Had a problem start Saturday where my check engine light and TCS (traction control) light came on, but later the TCS light went back out. I have an extended warranty plan for the car that's still in effect, and so I had to wait until they were open to take it in to the dealer. And before I get yelled at, I went to the dealer since the warranty was paying for it, I figured I may as well go there.

I had planned to run by auto zone this morning before the appointment with Acura to get the OBD2 codes read off so I'd know not to bother if it was something simple, but....

I had a 10am appointment today at the dealer to get it checked out. As I drove in, I discovered the problem: Transmission. It slipped out of gear and wouldn't go back in gear. So the dealer checks it out (after I get it towed the rest of the way in) and says the transmission is history, has a few other related problems, and two broken motor mounds (how the heck does that happen? I don't drive off road...). Anyway, they say they've talked to the warranty folks and everything will most likely be covered. Which is good, because the estimate was about $6500 for parts PLUS labor.

Sure hope the warranty folks pay out.. especially given that the trade in value of the car in "good" condition is only about 8k.

The extended warranty was expensive, around 2k if memory serves - but if they actually pay for this it will have been a better investment than anything wall street has to offer. There's certainly mixed reviews of the warranty company on the net, so I'm a bit apprehensive of how this will turn out.

Edit: Warranty company is stepping up, and even providing a rental (as it will take a week to get all the parts in apparently). Can't beat that! The warranty was a "maxcare" extended service plan. Money well spent, I guess

This post has been edited by Kelemvor: 08 February 2011 - 04:08 PM
Reason for edit: updated

Page 1 of 1

Other Replies To This Topic

#2 User is offline   Tweak 

• Maximum Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 February 2011 - 09:21 PM

Good to hear, friend had a 745i BMW that had to have the engine replaced, lucky guy as he also had an extended warranty at the time which covered it.

#3 User is offline   Agent51 

• Administrator
  • Group: Site Owner
  • LocationNorth Carolina USA

Posted 08 February 2011 - 09:52 PM

This is good news after all you hear about ripoff companies.
I may have just regained faith in humanity. Well all except Intel , for now.

Did they find out or tell you what could have happened to the transmission and mounts?
I had a 1997 Acura, Tweak rode in it at Myrtle Beach, allot of miles on it and never anything like that happened.

#4 User is offline   Kelemvor 

• LocationLargo, FL

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:30 PM

View PostAgent51, on 08 February 2011 - 09:52 PM, said:

Did they find out or tell you what could have happened to the transmission and mounts?
I had a 1997 Acura, Tweak rode in it at Myrtle Beach, allot of miles on it and never anything like that happened.

No, I got so caught up in worrying about the warranty paying for it and dealing with other crises today that I didn't really ask much. The motor mount thing kind of has me stumped, I don't know how those could have broken; speed bumps maybe? Seems odd to me.

#5 User is offline   Kelemvor 

• LocationLargo, FL

Posted 09 February 2011 - 08:07 PM

I'm not sure what's going on here but I get the distinct impression that the Acura service department is awesome. I got a call from the service manager today notifying me that they had convinced the warranty company to go with a new transmission from Acura directly (originally the warranty company was planning to ship a rebuilt with only a 1y warranty to the Acura dealer), and to top it off my car will be ready 5 days sooner than originally promised! Is today opposite day? I don't think I've ever had such a positive experience with any auto shop before.

#6 User is offline   Agent51 

• Administrator
  • Group: Site Owner
  • LocationNorth Carolina USA

Posted 09 February 2011 - 09:07 PM

I think you just entered into the Bazzaro World!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users