New Tech Horizon: "geek's guide to Databases ? A.K.A. HELP!!!!!!! - New Tech Horizon

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

"geek's guide to Databases ? A.K.A. HELP!!!!!!! my first foray into database work

#1 User is offline   othman11 

• Excellent Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Review Team
  • LocationI live in my own little world and they like me there!

Posted 06 December 2010 - 07:21 PM

At work this morning, I was assigned a new task. I was given the task of creating a database. I have no clue how or where to start.
I'm a medical devise inspector, at the DC level. I have product come in that's too small or doesn't need a full on inspection. These products (surgical instruments and the like) usually just get the old mark one eyeball treatment. Now I will have to create this database...somehow. I will have access to the DC inventory database and a brand specific database. I will be pulling the product number and description from these other databases, to populate the new one by using the purchase order. This will all be using Access 2007......YIKES!!!!! :big-mad:

I have a feeling that I'm making this harder than it really is, but I have no idea what I'm doing. :boo hoo:

Page 1 of 1

Other Replies To This Topic

#2 User is offline   Agent51 

• Administrator
  • Group: Site Owner
  • LocationNorth Carolina USA

Posted 06 December 2010 - 07:43 PM

First, do you have to use Access?
if not, I would not.
from what I know about databases, you really dont want to merge 2 together.
I dont think you can but im not sure.
I would think the best thing to do is find an inventory software with a database and import the data from both into the new.
I have no Idea how to do this though. It would take a programmer.

#3 User is offline   Agent51 

• Administrator
  • Group: Site Owner
  • LocationNorth Carolina USA

Posted 06 December 2010 - 07:51 PM

http://databases.about.com/od/tutorials/ss/createaccessdb.htm
Dont know how helpfull this is but here is a start

#4 User is offline   othman11 

• Excellent Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 December 2010 - 08:01 PM

Thanks

#5 User is offline   Kelemvor 

• I'm a mog: half man, half dog. I'm my own best friend
  • Group: Admin/Benefactor
  • LocationLargo, FL

Posted 06 December 2010 - 09:55 PM

You can do it with access pretty easily. Access is probably the easiest to use of any database, but the drawback is it doesn't scale at all. Pretty much needs to be limited to one user at a time.

You pretty much have two choices as far as what to do with the data that I can think of. You can link to the other databases directly and do linked queries; or you can replicate the data from each into your local access database. The latter will have better query time performance, but will be out of date depending on your replication frequency. The former will always be up to date but may perform slower if network bandwidth or latency are a problem.

If you need to do data UPDATES then linking may be your only option.

The other thing you need to think about unless it's obvious is how you will join the databases when you query them. Hopefully there will be a common identifier in both databases such as the product number you referenced. Access makes query building (joins) pretty easy as you can just specify things such as "all rows from table A but only matching rows from table B" instead of having to specify "left join" etc.

I'd say take this approach first. Create an access database. LINK the tables from each source database, then use query builder to write your query. I think there's even a handy dandy wizard in access these days.

If query speeds are acceptable to you, then just stick with that approach. If not, and you can deal with the data being a little stale; then set up an import with a schedule for each source.

Here's something you might find useful: http://www.youtube.c...s+2007+tutorial

#6 User is offline   othman11 

• Excellent Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 December 2010 - 01:48 AM

It's pretty much what you said Kelemvor. I will create a report that will query the main inventory database and at least one other database. The report will use the purchase order number to query and "pull" the vendor, vendor number, product number, and description. I'm guessing that once that happens it should be "saved" to a new table, so I can add the inspection criteria. Once all this is done, then you would "pull up" the blank report and let the DB fill out the required fields. After that we will print it out and use it. Query and update speed is not an issue, since there is only going to be 2 or 3 users at the most. I hope this sounds about right.

This post has been edited by othman11: 07 December 2010 - 01:50 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users