• Administrator
  • Group: Site Owner
  • LocationNorth Carolina USA

Posted 26 November 2010 - 07:38 PM

HP Officejet 6500 Review
11/26/2010
By Kzaske

Disclaimer:

As almost everyone here knows, I am an HP employee, don’t let that fool you. I am well known for speaking my mind on any topic and often in opposition to the company line. I picked this printer because it is the best bang for the buck of the printers in the current HP line up. HP corporate does not know that this review is being written and has no control over its content. The opinions expressed within this review are mine and mine alone.

Background:
My old printer (a Photosmart 8250) quit picking up paper about six months ago. A few weeks ago it started having connection problems even though it was connected via USB. The time had finally come to get a new printer. As neither of the new computers have parallel ports my desire to use my trusty HP Deskjet 670c was not an option.

My requirements for a new printer are fairly simple; networkable, low cost per page and durable. I would like to have a scanner too, but I have two (a very old Scanjet (we are talking Win98 was still the OS of choice when this thing came out) and an old Cannon (with all the bells and whistles)) in storage already. I very rarely print photos so I don’t need something optimized for printing the very highest quality possible.

As for networking, wireless support is not desired due to network security reason. I don’t want some drive by getting onto my network and wireless security is more or less a joke. As many of the current generation of printers support wireless I knew this was not going to be easy.

After doing some research I found that printers that use the 920 or 940 ink supplies have the lowest cost per page for a home printer (among the printers I checked on). The 940 printer are slightly cheaper than the 920 but only by a slight fraction and the 940 printers are designed for high volume printing. All in all, I found that the 6500 Ethernet version met all of my requirements and desires, I ordered an Officejet 6500 (e709a – the Ethernet only version) on 21 October.

My new HP Officejet 6500 (e709a) arrived on 26 October. So I figured I would do a quick review on the thing letting you guys know how setup went.

See full review here

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Other Replies To This Topic

#2 User is offline   Agent51 

• Administrator

Posted 27 November 2010 - 07:50 PM

Bump

#3 User is offline   kzaske 

• Veteran Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Benefactor

Posted 28 November 2010 - 04:05 AM

Guys, let me know what you think or if something could/should have been covered better. This is my first true attempt at a review.

Ken /|\
:foldon:

#4 User is offline   Agent51 

• Administrator

Posted 28 November 2010 - 08:29 AM

Can you post some pics of the actual printer?

#5 User is offline   kzaske 

• Veteran Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 November 2010 - 01:52 PM

Yeah, I can post a picture or two. On question, how did a rating of 3.75 get bumped up to 5?

Ken /|\

Attached File(s)

#6 User is offline   Agent51 

• Administrator

Posted 28 November 2010 - 09:02 PM

It got a 4.5
I took the total points and divided it by 5, since we only give 5 stars.

#7 User is offline   kzaske 

• Veteran Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 November 2010 - 02:16 AM

OK, you did it a different way than I had.

Ken /|\

#8 User is offline   Agent51 

• Administrator

Posted 03 December 2010 - 07:38 PM

I forgot to say, this is a very good review and I know it will help someone make a decision.
What do you all think?

#9 User is offline   Zaevin 

• Excellent Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationBoise Idaho, USA

Posted 04 December 2010 - 11:42 AM

View PostAgent51, on 03 December 2010 - 07:38 PM, said:

I forgot to say, this is a very good review and I know it will help someone make a decision.
What do you all think?

A great review indeed.

I received this printer as a wedding-anniversary-gift from my parents. Mine has been flawless when using the Enterprise driver. Scanning over the network via the Embedded Web Server is great :) .

Do not load the full featured driver. The firmware features are robust and the printer driver settings like : "Black Only" printing, and "Printing Shortcuts" are nice.

My wife loves the photo quality, too.

A few other co-workers own this model too.... this is the model that HP employees purchase, when looking for a consumer-focused-All-in-One.

-Z

P.S. The origins of this product, start in San Diego, California. A buddy and I helped Beta and Delta the predecssor products :D.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users